SummerStage Anywhere Digital Series Schedule – July 6th – 12th
Digital Series Content
Programming Week of July 6th – July 12th
Femi Kuti, A$AP Ferg, Fab 5 Freddy,
Shura, Rich Medina, Sheila Jordan,
Christian McBride, VP Records,
Dwight Rhoden, Karine Plantadit & More
Upcoming Performances & Conversations With La India, Pabllo Vittar, Angelique Kidjo, Patrick Watson, Venus X, Ibeyi, Emicida, Fenne Lily,
Michael Brun, Joan Myers Brown Of Philadanco! &
More To Be Announced
JULY 6, 2020 – NEW YORK, NY – Capital One City Parks Foundation SummerStage is kicking off July with its free digital series SummerStage Anywhere. The platform will offer daily one-of-a-kind digital arts content every week throughout the summer, starting today July 6th. For the most up-to-date scheduling and lineup information, please visit SummerStageAnywhere.org.
SummerStage Anywhere digital schedule for week of July 6th -12th:
● Monday, July 6th:Monday Meditations will take over the SummerStage Instagram channel live every Monday starting today at 12:00PM EST for a 30 minute workshop focused on keeping your mind and body happy, healthy and active with guest host Karine Plantadit, former Alvin Ailey and Broadway Tony Award nominated dancer (Come Fly Away, The Lion King), instructor, choreographer, certified yoga teacher and life coach.
● Monday, July 6th:Dwight Rhoden, Founding Artistic Director/Resident Choreographer of Complexions Contemporary Ballet, will join SummerStage Dance Curator Danni Gee for our first live episode of Soundcheck: Curator Conversations tonight at 7:00PM EST on the SummerStage Instagram channel. They will discuss Rhoden’s artistic vision, making work that reflects the times, and how the company has been staying engaged during the Covid “pause.”
● Tuesday, July 7th: Showcasing global content with two SummerStage alums for our first episode of SummerStage Anywhere Session: Femi Kuti. Kuti, who played SummerStage in 2018, is a performer and activist who travels the world performing the music of his father, celebrated Nigerian musician Fela Kuti. This exclusive digital performance was filmed at The New Afrika Shrine in Lagos, Nigeria, a venue opened for the community of Lagos where ordinary people could come together and be themselves regardless of class. Fela performed frequently at the venue in the 1970s until it burned down, but the legacy continued when his son Femi rebuilt the Shrine in 2000. This performance marked Femi’s return home to the Shrine. Kicking off the evening is SummerStage alum DJ Rich Medina of The Originals with a live DJ set starting at 7:00PM EST, followed by Femi’s performance at 7:30PM EST available on both our SummerStage YouTube channeland SummerStage Facebook channel.
● Wednesday, July 8th: Live SummerStage Anywhere Session performance from electro-pop singer and songwriter Shura at 8:00PM EST on our SummerStage Instagram channel. A self-taught YouTube artist, she has collaborated with the likes of songwriter Joel Pott (of indie band Athlete) and Talib Kweli. Shura’s music is often described as “infectious but melancholy electropop” that blurs gender and sexuality.
● Thursday, July 9th: Salsa dance all-stars Ernesto and Denisse will host the first SummerStage Studio: Digital dance class, teaching youth and families salsa moves at 2:00PM EST available on both our SummerStage YouTube channeland SummerStage Facebook channel. With 20 years of experience dancing Salsa all around the world, Ernesto and Denisse became partners after moving to New York to dance for Yamulee Dance Company and compete with the four time salsa team World Champions, The New York Movement.
● Friday, July 10th: Two powerhouse hip-hop tastemakers will headline our Hip Hop Friday. Join our first Hip-Hop Culture Talk with Fab 5 Freddy and A$AP Ferg at 8:00PM EST available on both our SummerStage YouTube channel or SummerStage Facebook channel. Old school meets new school when these New York legends discuss their process in creating music that reflects and amplifies racial inequalities. Fab 5 Freddy emerged in the downtown underground scene in the late 1970s and has since been regarded as a pioneer of hip hop. Freddy became the first host of the groundbreaking hip hop music video show Yo! MTV Raps. A$AP Ferg emerged from Harlem with a captivating solo rap career in 2007, and is also a member of the hip hop collective A$AP Mob along with artists A$AP Rocky, A$AP Ant, Playboi Carti and others. Following the talk, join Fab 5 Freddy for a live Q&A as he takes questions from the audience starting at 8:30PM EST on the SummerStage Facebook channel.
● Saturday, July 11th: Jazz Culture Talk with Sheila Jordan & Christian McBride at 8:00 PM EST available on both our SummerStage YouTube channel and SummerStage Facebook channel. A contemporary and friend of Charlie Parker’s, Jordan is known for her bebop and scat jazz singing style with only an upright bass as her accompaniment. McBride, a six-time Grammy Award winning jazz bassist, composer and arranger, has performed and recorded with Herbie Hancock, Diana Krall, Roy Haynes, Wynton Marsalis, Eddie Palmieri, as well as with pop, hip-hop, soul and classical musicians like Sting, Paul McCartney, Celine Dion, The Roots, Queen Latifah, and James Brown. These two established Jazz titans will come together to discuss the long lasting impact of Charlie Parker’s work around the celebration of his 100th birthday.
● Sunday, July 12th: Weekly #PeopleSpeakSundays curator takeover will launch at 2:00 PM EST with special guest curator VP Records, an independent reggae, dancehall and soca record label based in Queens. This special collaboration will feature a beats workshop and a dub yoga session live on the SummerStage Instagram channel. The series will also highlight crowdsourced performers who submit #PeopleSpeakSundays entries on Instagram.
Looking ahead at the week of July 13th, SummerStage Anywhere will feature exclusive performances with indie musician Patrick Watson, tap class with dancer Ayodele Casel, DJ sets with Latin trendsetter DJ Lobo, conversations with global singer and Grammy winner Angelique Kidjo & dance instructor and PHILADANCO! Founder Joan Myers Brown, New York DJ Venus X Ghetto Gothic Instagram live takeover and more. A full calendar is below.
Every day this summer, SummerStage Anywhere will highlight genres that were born in or deeply represent New York – Mondays: Contemporary Dance, Tuesdays: Global, Wednesdays: Indie Rock, Thursdays: Latin, Fridays: Hip Hop and Saturdays: Jazz. Daily genre-driven content will be featured across multiple SummerStage social channels (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube,Twitch) and will vary between exclusive digital performances, in-depth conversations, one-on-one interviews, DJ sets, and arts engagement programs for youth and families.
Our digital episodes will follow themes each week:
● SummerStage Anywhere Sessions – exclusive digital performances with artists either live streamed or pre-recorded and then premiered on our digital channels.
● Culture Talks – in-depth and intimate conversations with artists focused on their connection to New York and how the city has influenced their work.
● Soundcheck: Curator Conversations – one-on-one interviews with industry curators and leaders on the behind-the-scenes work of the arts industry. Speakers include SummerStage curators, artists and arts professionals.
● Weekly Beat: DJ sessions – sets by DJs and artists playing music that inspires and motivates them and crate digging for their favorite finds.
● SummerStage Studio: Digital presented by Disney- arts engagement programs for kids and families including movement and percussion workshops.
Still to come this season, performances and conversations with salsa star La India, Brazilian drag queen and pop star Pabllo Vittar, Afro-French Cuban musical duo Ibeyi, Brazilian rapper and MC Emicida, Dominican-Ecuadorian, indie folk singer/songwriter Fenne Lily, Haitian DJ Michael Brun, Joan Myers Brown, and much more.
For the most up-to-date scheduling and lineup information about SummerStage Anywhere, please visit SummerStageAnywhere.org.
Soundcheck: Curator Conversations
DJ Rich Medina
SummerStage Anywhere Sessions – Live DJ Set
Facebook + YouTube Live
SummerStage Anywhere Sessions
Facebook + YouTube
SummerStage Anywhere Sessions
Ernesto and Denisse
SummerStage Studio: Digital
Facebook + YouTube Live
Latin / Dance / Family
Fab 5 Freddy & A$AP Ferg
Facebook + YouTube
Fab 5 Freddy
Sheila Jordan & Christian McBride
Facebook + YouTube
VP Records: Beats workshop with Richard “Shams” Browne
Official Hashtag: #SummerStage #SummerStageAnywhere
As an independent, not-for-profit organization, we rely on our donors to help us make SummerStage possible. Support from donors will help secure the future of SummerStage as New York’s largest free outdoor performing arts festival. We believe the arts are for everyone and encourage those who can donate to visit cityparksfoundation.org/give for more information.
Capital One is the Title Sponsor of the 2020 SummerStage festival. Disney is a sponsor of SummerStage family programming, including presenting sponsor of SummerStage Studio: Digital. Supporting sponsorship is provided by Bloomberg Philanthropies and United Airlines.
Generous private support is provided by The Thompson Family Foundation, the Howard Gilman Foundation, Mertz Gilmore Foundation, The Shubert Organization, and the New York Community Trust NYC COVID-19 Response and Impact Fund. SummerStage is also supported, in part, by public funds from the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs, the NYS Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the NYS Legislature, and the National Endowment for the Arts. Additional support is generously provided by our dedicated SummerStage Members.
Media partners include Big Room, iHeart Radio featuring Lite FM, Power 105.1, 103.5 KTU, Q104.3, and Z100, Telemundo, WFUV, Relix, WNYC, WBGO, Time Out New York, DoNYC, Futuro Media Group and Big Screen Plaza. Big Room is the exclusive live stream partner of SummerStage Anywhere.
In all of its programming and activities, City Parks Foundation partners with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation to improve neighborhood parks and the communities.
About City Parks Foundation
At City Parks Foundation, we are dedicated to invigorating and transforming parks into dynamic, vibrant centers of urban life through sports, arts, community building and education programs for all New Yorkers. Our programs — located in more than 400 parks, recreation centers and public schools across New York City –reach 300,000 people each year. Our ethos is simple: thriving parks mean thriving communities.
Capital One City Parks Foundation SummerStage is New York’s largest free outdoor performing arts festival. SummerStage annually presents approximately 100 performances in 15-18 parks throughout the five boroughs. With performances ranging from American pop, Latin, world music, dance and theater, SummerStage fills a vital niche in New York City’s summer arts festival landscape. Since its inception 34 years ago, more than six million people from New York City and around the world have enjoyed SummerStage. Capital One is the Title Sponsor of SummerStage. For more information, visit www.SummerStage.org.
About Capital One
Capital One Financial Corporation (www.capitalone.com) is a financial holding company whose subsidiaries, which include Capital One, N.A., and Capital One Bank (USA), N.A., had $249.8 billion in deposits and $372.5 billion in total assets as of December 31, 2018. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One offers a broad spectrum of financial products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients through a variety of channels. Capital One, N.A. has branches located primarily in New York, Louisiana, Texas, Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey and the District of Columbia. A Fortune 500 company, Capital One trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “COF” and is included in the S&P 100 index. Visit the Capital One newsroom for more Capital One news.