Sacred Reich are back with their fifth studio album, their first since 1996’s Heal and it is like they were never away albeit with a more polished and refined.
While the sound has changed the power and feeling has not and none more so than on the opening track “Awakening” with its mix of old school thrash and punk, hard fast and in your face. “Divide And Conquer” is another fast paced thrashy number packed with great riffs and a tasty solo thrown in for good measure. “Salvation” is another monster thrasher that has machine gun like drums with gnarly riffs over it with Phil Rind snarling away and some brilliant guitar work from Wiley Arnett to give it a nice edge. “Manifest Reality” has a nastier darker feel to it with chunky riffs and “Metal Militia” speed, again the returning Dave McClain blast the drums like no tomorrow and Arnett lets those fingers go wild. The second half of the album has a real curve ball in “Death Valley”, a real funky Southern rock track, cowbell and all, with a groove like nobody’s business that you just can’t resist and it is because off this that it is one of the best songs on the album. “Revolution” is a real crossover thrash/punk track full of power and aggression; it’s a real throwback to their beginnings. The album closes with “Something To Believe” a real anthemic track that harks back to early Judas Priest, catchy hooks and deadly guitars with a ripper solo.
For the first offering in twenty three years this is a brilliant way to dip your toes back in the water. Eight tracks coming in under thirty minutes, you can’t go wrong. Old School and ageing like a fine wine Sacred Reich are back with a bang.
Awakening is available Friday August 23rd via Metal Blade Records and all DSP’s.
Sacred Reich are:
Phil Rind Vocals/Bass
Wiley Arnett Lead Guitar
Dave McClain Drums
Joey Radziwill Rhythm Guitar
SACRED REICH tour the UK in November with tickets on sale now. Dates run as follows.
Nov. 27 – London, UK – Underworld
Nov. 29 – Newcastle, UK – University
Nov. 30 – Glasgow, UK – Classic Grand
Dec. 1 – Belfast, UK – Limelight 2
Dec. 3 – Dublin, Ireland – Voodoo Lounge
Dec. 4 – Wolverhampton, UK – SteelMill
Album pre-orders are available now from: metalblade.com/sacredreich, where the record can be purchased in the following formats, including a special box set and an array of limited edition vinyl. Exclusive bundles with shirts, plus digital options are also available.
– Box set (digipak CD, flag, pins, sticker – limited to 3000 copies)
– 180g black vinyl (EU exclusive)
– Clear / red marbled vinyl (EU exclusive – limited to 700 copies)
– Beige / grey marbled vinyl (EU exclusive – limited to 500 copies)
– Clear red / brown marbled vinyl (EU exclusive – limited to 300 copies)
– Clear / black marbled vinyl (EU exclusive – limited to 200 copies)
– Clear / black circle w/ white / red splatter vinyl (EU Webshop exclusive – limited to 100 copies)
– Black / white splatter vinyl (EU Ebay exclusive – limited to 100 copies)
– Clear / black splatter vinyl (US exclusive – limited to 500 copies)
– White / black haze vinyl (US exclusive – limited to 500 copies)