Area Pirata Records
Release date 24 April 2020
Following the success of their debut single ‘Just Friends’ last Autumn, Rimini punks SMALLTOWN TIGERS at last unveil their debut mini-album Five Things through happening garage-punk label Area Pirata Records. Here’s five things you need to know…
- SMALLTOWN TIGERS cut their teeth playing Ramones songs at squats and beach parties, spreading their love for surfboards and punk rock. In 2019, Valli (bass, vocals) and Monty (guitar, vocals) went into the all-analogue L’Amor Mio Non Muore studio in Forli with cult producer Stiv Cantarelli from blues-punk outcasts Stiv Cantarelli and The Silent Strangers to lay down the basics of what became their first originals.
- Back on the road, the girls earned their stripes opening for Seattle underground gods Steal Shit Do Drugs, good enough to scoop the support slot for NYC powerpop aces Baby Shakes on their Italian dates. Before a round of summer gigs with Italian proto punk godfathers Not Moving Ltd and other crash-and-burn gigs on the scene, new drummer Castel came on board to turn Smalltown Tigers into one exciting rock’n’roll act.
- Already being talked up on the Euro garage-punk scene after their debut UK tour in London in October 2019, playing such legendary venues as The Hope & Anchor and Dalston’s Shacklewell Arms, with fast-rising bands like The Speedways and The Menstrual Cramps and anarcho-punk legends Hagar The Womb, while the ‘Just Friends’ video received its world premiere from Vive Le Rock!
- The 8-song Five Things is a powerful mix of punk rock roots and glam attitude. If you shake ’76 Ramones and 78’ B52’s and pour them in Joan Jett’s rock’n’roll glass, you’ll have a taste of how this record sounds. Recorded mostly live in the studio with no overdubs and mixed by analog master Roberto Villa on 2” tape, and mastered by Detroit garage-punk guru Jim Diamond, these eight songs testify that these girls are no Dolce Vita.
- Sadly, the Tigers’ UK dates in May have been canceled, but they’re lining up new dates for the Autumn, by which time they’ll be raring to go! In the meantime, getcha cat clothes on and TURN IT UP!!!
“Imagine the Ramones getting sand kicked in their faces by The Runaways at a beach party while Kurt and Courtney look on.”
NUZZ PROWLING WOLF
“Straight up no nonsense garage rock…” VIVE LE ROCK!
“Punk rock for now people!” MICKEY BRADLEY, THE UNDERTONES