Austin’s LORD BUFFALO Embrace Dark Folk and Psychedelic Americana on TOHU WA BOHU
Atmospheric quartet capture western skies and unsettling prairie on Blues Funeral Recordings debut
— THE BIG TAKEOVER
America’s vast ocean of rolling prairie, brutal in its rhythmic repetition and sameness, can be unsettling to take in. The plains force a communion with the open sky, the endless landscape turning the eyes inward.
LORD BUFFALO‘s second LP is just that: the outward gaze forced inward, where the unknowable treads the blurred borders between land, sky and mind.
On March 13, Blues Funeral Recordings will release Tohu Wa Bohu, the new album from Austin’s Lord Buffalo, a band whose dark folk and Gothic Americana sees them chasing the same storm-threatening horizon sky as All Them Witches, Woven Hand, Nick Cave and Dead Meadow.
With their spacious soft/loud dynamics and violin drone, Lord Buffalo is often the loudest band on folk night and the softest on a metal bill, never failing to hold their own and make the dichotomy feel effortless.
An unsettling ride through open plains and melancholic Midwestern imagery, Tohu Wa Bohu is thick with captivating intensity and brooding heaviness of the soul. With its haunted themes and spacious soundscapes, the record plays across genres, taking cues equally from Morricone and Badalementi as well as Sabbath and Swans.
“It is a heft of ambience as much as tone, but there’s no shortage of rhythmic impact as well… vocals and violin sweeping up in a melodic wash punctuated by a thick-sounding snare that brings its crescendo down.” — THE OBELISK
“The sound of Lord Buffalo – that atmospheric diving headlong into the very heart of darkness – is unsettling. And it’s magnificent.” — LAURIE GALLARDO, KUTX
Tohu Wa Bohu will be released on digital, CD and LP from Blues Funeral Recordings on March 13th.
LORD BUFFALO is on tour in March and will perform at this year’s Psycho Las Vegasfestival (August 2020).
- Fri 3/6/20 Austin, TX— The Lost Well
- Wed 3/11/20 El Paso, TX — Rockhouse
- Thu 3/12/20 Bisbee, AZ — The Quarry Bisbee
- Fri 3/13/20 Tempe, AZ — Yucca taproom
- Sat 3/14/20 Los Angeles, CA — 5 Star Bar
- Sun 3/15/20 Spring Valley, Ca — Bancroft
- Tue 3/17/20 Salt Lake City, UT — Loading Dock
- Wed 3/18/20 Denver, CO — Cervantes
- Thu 3/19/20 Albuquerque, NM — Sister Bar
- Sat 3/21/20 Arlington, TX — Division Brewing
- Thu 4/30/20 Austin, TV — Waterloo Records (in-store performance)
- August 2020 Las Vegas, NV — Psycho Las Vegas Festival
Daniel Pruitt – Vocals, Guitar
Garrett Hellman – Guitar, Organs
Patrick Patterson – Violin
Yamal Said – Percussion